Jobs will be posted for up to 6 months from the posting date.
PCCA is looking for individuals with residential plumbing or mechanical inspection experience who are willing to help with recording some lessons for the upcoming Plumbing and Mechanical Academies based on the 2018 IRC. Recordings will include two presenters, and can be scheduled to fit your available schedule.
The Pennsylvania Construction Codes Academy is on the lookout for individuals who may be interested in becoming an instructor for the PCCA.
Individuals are contracted with on a case-by-case basis to instruct courses, training programs, webinars, etc. in which they are interested and have background and experience in the subject matter. Opportunities are provided to “sit in” or “audit” programs with existing instructors to help develop a comfort level for what would be expected of them.
If interested in learning more please complete the following form: PCCA INSTRUCTOR RECRUITMENT FORM
Code Enforcement / Zoning / Planning Official - Borough of Emmaus (Posted November 15, 2022)
The Borough of Emmaus is accepting applications for the full-time position of Code Enforcement / Zoning / Planning Official. The position is responsible for the enforcement of State and Local Codes, issuance of licenses and permits, physical inspections of properties, plan reviews, zoning, issuance of citations, attendance at court hearings, and any other code enforcement related activity. The successful candidate should have a broad background in building construction, knowledge of the UCC, a working knowledge of computers, and the ability to work with the public in a pleasant and professional manner.
Complete job description and details can be obtained by emailing the Borough Manager or at the temporary Emmaus Borough Hall, 420 S. 10th Street, Emmaus, PA 18049. Pay is between $60,000 - $80,000 depending on UCC certifications and skillset already possessed by the successful applicant. Resumes must be mailed to Attn: Shane Pepe at Borough Hall at the address listed above. The application deadline is Friday, December 16, 2022 at 10:00 AM.
There is a potential that the successful candidate may be selected to be the manager of the department if they possess the proper experience in the field and have the proper UCC certifications. EOE
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 - $80,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Construction Management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Codes Enforcement / Planning / Zoning: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: One location
Building Plans Examiner (Reposted September 28, 2022)
South Penn Code Consultants is looking for a Building Plans Examiner to join our team. We are a code compliance office, zoning officers, sewage enforcement officers, inspectors, plans examiners, permit technicians, and cover many municipalities. You will review and evaluate building plans and specifications to ensure the proposed construction complies with local, state Uniform Construction Code, building, fire, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, accessibility, energy, and related codes. Salary based on qualifications and experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Review residential and commercial plans for compliance with national, state and locally adopted codes.
• Occasionally inspect buildings and structures for compliance with construction codes.
• Work collaboratively with staff from other departments.
• Develop good working relationships with the public and make difficult and sometimes unpopular decisions.
• Maintain an awareness and application of safe working procedures.
• Review plans and design calculations for complex structural systems used in a broad range of buildings.
Education and Experience Requirements
• Two years of college or vocational tech coursework in building code studies, engineering, architecture, or construction management or three years' experience in building code plan review work for a municipal agency or a private plan review consulting firm or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Knowledge of the International Building Code (IBC). International Residential Code (IRC) and other regulations pertaining to construction and development.
• Knowledge of design, engineering, materials, and methods related to residential and commercial construction.
• Demonstrated excellent verbal and written interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to understand and interpret codes and evaluate project proposals and projects under construction to verify conformance with code requirements.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to make appropriate, sometimes unpopular decisions.
• Ability to communicate technical information in a non-technical manner.
• Ability to respond diplomatically to angry citizens or clients.
• Knowledge of computer software applications.
• All ICC Building Plans Examiner certification
• The work involves utilizing critical thinking skills to evaluate architectural and structural plan documents for conformance with applicable laws and regulations. Reviewers are expected to have knowledge on the use of typical office tools and equipment such as telephones, personal computers, copy machines, etc.
• Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• The employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 20 pounds.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet while in the office and moderately loud when in the field.
• The employee may be required to work in outside weather conditions, in wet and/or humid conditions, in high, precarious places, near moving mechanical parts, near fumes, airborne particles, and/or toxic or caustic chemicals, or near risk of electrical shock and/or vibration.
• Work may periodically require the employee to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl.
Salary depends on experience: $70,000, $110,000
Send or Email Resume and Salary requirements to:
South Penn Code Consultants,
1382 Seven Valleys Road
York PA 717-942-2248
West Whiteland Township - Code Inspector (Posted August 30th, 2022)
Community Background: West Whiteland Township is located approximately 30 miles outside of Philadelphia, in the center of Chester County surrounding the Exton Crossroads of Route 30 and Route 100. We are a suburban community of 19,600 residents with a daytime population over 26,000. New Township plans, a strong transportation mix and increasing redevelopment around the Exton Crossroads have led to important Township and community projects underway and on the horizon.
The Position: The Codes Administration Department’s 4 employees, including the Code Inspector, are responsible for administering the Township's building construction regulations, including zoning reviews and use and occupancy permits; fire prevention inspections of commercial and residential rental properties; emergency management coordination; and enforcement of other non-police codes. The Code Inspector’s position is an administrative, technical and field work position responsible for enforcement of the PA Uniform Construction Code and other Township regulations, and fire prevention education and compliance. Duties include plan review and permit issuance for residential construction, inspections of residential construction and property complaints, enforcing the Township zoning and other ordinances, and assisting the Fire Marshal with fire prevention and life safety inspections.
The ideal candidate will bring a mix of new ideas and proven practices to the position. Strong communication and people skills; the ability to learn new software programs such as GIS and MS Office365; and knowledge of state and federal regulations are essential.
West Whiteland Township has a collegial and hardworking staff where everyone wears multiple hats and pitches in to support each other as necessary. We pride ourselves on serving our community as effectively as we can and an appreciation for public service will make the job more rewarding. While casual and supportive, the work environment also is very busy. The successful candidate must have strong organization and time management skills to prioritize work, juggle multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent
At least 5 years' experience in building codes and inspection, construction trades and/or fire company
Skills and Knowledge
Knowledge of the PA UCC, residential ICC Codes, NFPA fire codes and applicable Township ordinances.
Knowledge of all phases of plan reviews and building inspections for conformance with codes, standards, and best practices.
Knowledge of building construction practices, materials, and standards.
Ability to enforce codes and regulations with firmness and tact.
Good written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to deal tactfully with individuals on the telephone and in person.
Good interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, contractors, engineers, architects, property owners, and the general public.
Good organization skills to complete reviews and inspections in timely manner and to document and follow up notices and inspections.
Licenses and Certifications
Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License
Residential certifications as required by the PA UCC including the following categories - Residential Building, Mechanical, Plumbing and Energy Inspector (#'s 10, 12, 13 and 14) and Building, Mechanical, Plumbing and Energy Plans Examiner (#'s 24. 26, 27 and 28)
All applications must be submitted using the online application process. You will need to create a new account to submit your application. Once you click on Create New Account, you will be guided through the application process and be able to apply for open positions. You will use the same login information each time you apply for a job. Please apply for the position at this link - https://secure3.entertimeonline.com/ta/W9525.careers?ApplyToJob=486739851%27%3eApply%20For%20This%20Job%3c/a
Code Compliance Officer - Horsham Township (Posted July 7, 2022)
Horsham Township, Montgomery County, a home rule municipality (pop. 26,147) is seeking a full-time qualified Code Compliance Professional responsible for the administration and enforcement of the International Property Maintenance Code, General Codes and Zoning Ordinance as well as the review, issuance, and approval of all zoning permits. Excellent written and oral communication skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office products is required. Knowledge of construction practices, the Municipalities Planning Code and International Property Maintenance Code is preferred. Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license and High School Diploma or GED is required. Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in related field is a plus. The anticipated starting salary range for this position is $70,000 - $75,000. The base salary is supplemented by an excellent fringe benefit package. The applicant hired will be required to successfully complete a comprehensive physical examination, including a screening for alcohol and other drugs, prior to being placed in the position. DOE/DOQ. To be considered, please send or email (PDF format) a resume and cover letter to Michael D. Shinton, Director of Codes & Community Planning, 1025 Horsham Road, Horsham, PA 19044 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Application Deadline: Friday, July 29, 2022. EOE.
The Pennsylvania Housing Research Center (PHRC) at Penn State is hiring! (posted May 9, 2022)
The High-Performance Housing Specialist position supports the mission of the PHRC by developing and delivering training programs, managing applied projects, planning and executing PHRC conferences, and supporting other core PHRC activities. Candidates must have broad knowledge of the residential construction industry and in-depth technical understanding of areas including but not limited to building enclosure design, structural systems, mechanical systems, renewable energy, architectural design, or construction management. This position has the benefits of working for a world-class university while being part of a small, dynamic team.
More information, including the opportunity to apply for this position, can be found online: https://bit.ly/PHRCJob-HPHS