Jobs will be posted for up to 6 months from the posting date.
PCCA is looking for individuals with residential plumbing or mechanical inspection experience who are willing to help with recording some lessons for the upcoming Plumbing and Mechanical Academies based on the 2018 IRC. Recordings will include two presenters, and can be scheduled to fit your available schedule.
The Pennsylvania Construction Codes Academy is on the lookout for individuals who may be interested in becoming an instructor for the PCCA.
Individuals are contracted with on a case-by-case basis to instruct courses, training programs, webinars, etc. in which they are interested and have background and experience in the subject matter. Opportunities are provided to “sit in” or “audit” programs with existing instructors to help develop a comfort level for what would be expected of them.
If interested in learning more please complete the following form: PCCA INSTRUCTOR RECRUITMENT FORM
Code Enforcement/Assistant Zoning Officer (Posted 3/20/23)
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: 4975 DeMoss Road
Deadline to apply: Until Filled
Position Summary: Exeter Township is seeking an experienced, reliable individual to investigate complaints pertaining to the Health and Safety ordinances of the Township and serves in assisting the Planning Commission.
This position requires a substantial knowledge and experience in code enforcement and the ability to assist in inspecting various phases of construction plans.
• Code Enforcement Officer duties to include and not be limited to:
o investigate complaints, issue notices of violation, issue citations when applicable and appear in court as required.
• Assistant Zoning Officer duties to include and not be limited to:
o maintaining zoning hearing files, process and distribute variance and special exception requests, post properties in relation to variance/special exception hearings, attend hearings of the Zoning Hearing Board
• Maintain proper procedures and facilitate utility markings through PA One Call System.
• Perform a variety of field and office work in support of the Township’s local code enforcement program.
• Receive and respond to citizen complaints and reports from other agencies and departments on alleged violations of Township zoning and related municipal codes and ordinances.
• Provide basic office coverage in the absence of the Engineering Secretary.
• Work is performed in an office environment and outside weather conditions.
• Monday – Friday 8:00am-4:30pm
• Two (2) years’ experience in Code Enforcement and/or engineering
• High School Diploma or G.E.D., associate degree in related field (preferred)
• Valid PA driver’s license
• Provide copies of licenses and/or certifications, if available
Please apply for this position on the Township Website or email cover letter, resume, references and employment application to Jennifer Kauffman, HR Manager at email@example.com Pre-employment hiring process includes but not limited to, a criminal background check
Code Enforcement Clerk (Posted 2/23/23)
Horsham Township, Montgomery County, a home rule municipality (pop. 26,551) is accepting applications for the position of Clerk within the Code Enforcement Department. This full-time position provides administrative support to the department and reports to the Director of Codes & Community Planning.
The position involves heavy contact with the public and candidates must be “people friendly” with excellent customer service skills. Applicants must have or be willing to gain an in-depth understanding of the functions and responsibilities performed by the department. Outstanding verbal and written communication abilities as well as proficiency in Microsoft Office is required. Familiarity with permit management software is preferred.
The selected candidate will be required to work on-site, 40 hours per week. Starting rate of pay is $20.43-25.08 per hour and a competitive benefits package is offered which covers the employee only.
To be considered, please send or email (PDF format) a resume and cover letter to Michael D. Shinton, Director of Codes & Community Planning, 1025 Horsham Road, Horsham, PA 19044 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Application Deadline: Friday, March 17, 2023. EOE.
Zoning Officer/Building Inspector (Posted 2/10/23)
The City of Altoona is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Zoning Officer/Building Inspector. This position is part of the City's Codes and Inspections Department and is responsible for the administrative and field work in the inspection of residential building construction and repair work conducted in the City. This position enforces zoning regulations contained in the City of Altoona Code of Ordinances in accordance with the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code while examining buildings during the course of construction, alteration, and repair in order to determine conformity with the Uniform Construction Code (UCC). Individuals will review building permit applications for compliance with code and zoning regulations, inspect buildings, investigate and review zoning complaints and provide support to the Zoning Hearing Board.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of laws, regulations and requirements applicable to the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code, the City of Altoona Zoning Code and the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code; practices and applicable City policies, laws and regulations affecting methods as applicable to a municipal setting; some knowledge of Division activities.
- Considerable skill in reading, understanding and interpreting construction plans, blueprints, site plans and specifications; skill in operating the listed tools and equipment; considerable knowledge of the materials and practices used in residential building construction and stages of construction.
- Ability to read, interpret and enforce statutes, ordinances and regulations firmly, tactfully, and impartially both verbally and in writing; ability to maintain professional and effective working relationships with supervisors/directors, coworkers, contractors, engineers, architects, property owners, and the general public; ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with employees, contractors, construction workers, other governmental agency representatives, City officials, and the general public; ability to read and interpret assigned plans, maps and specifications; ability to read, write and understand the English language; ability to meet the attendance requirements of the position.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently; skilled in planning, organizing and scheduling work efficiently; ability to carry-out duties with little or no supervision.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum of two (2) years related experience; or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience
- Commercial Building Inspector (PA L&I 15) certification
Generous paid time off, including vacation, sick, personal, and holiday pay; One hour paid lunch; Hours primarily 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (must have the ability to be flexible)
Mechanical Inspector/Plans Examiner (Posted 1/25/2023)
Application due: Tuesday, February 14th, 2023
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Community Development/Building & Trades
CLASSIFICATION: AFSCME 2763 – Rank & File
PAY RATE: $31.66/hour, 40 hours/week
The Mechanical Inspector/Plans Examiner oversees every phase of construction from planning to finish to ensure compliance with the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code and City of Reading ordinances. The Mechanical Inspector/Plans Examiner has direct contact with external and internal customers; therefor the inspector must have excellent communication and customer service skills. The inspector must be able to readily adapt to, interpret, explain, and implement changing codes and ordinances.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
- Review and approve HVAC permit submittal documents
- Issue permits for installation, removal, alterations of HVAC equipment
- Schedule and perform field inspections
- Maintain, submit records of field reports, inspection results, plan reviews
- Assist developers, designers, and property owners with code-related problems
- Identify potential structural and building system hazards and recommend abatement action.
- Draft and mail notices of violation, citations, condemnations, demolitions, and abatement orders.
- Support other City departments as necessary
- Perform other related duties as required
- Minimum high school diploma/GED
- Must possess current ICC or equivalent certification for Commercial Mechanical Inspector
- Must possess current ICC or equivalent certification for Mechanical Plans Examiner
- Must possess a City of Reading Master Mechanical license or equivalent (Master Plumber License) for a minimum of 10 years
How to Apply: Qualified, interested candidates must submit a cover letter, employment application and a current resume at www.readingpa.gov. Questions – Email email@example.com
Building Code Official (Posted January 24, 2023)
This position serves as the Building Code Official for the Department of Community Development for the City of York. The City’s Building Code Official position requires knowledge of construction, the construction industry and the construction permitting process. A significant aspect of the position includes the ability to both interpret and enforce the City’s Building Code, its Property Maintenance Code and other codes as adopted and amended by the City of York. The following ICC Certifications must be held or attained within a reasonable amount of time: Building Code Official, Commercial Building Inspector, Residential Building Inspector, Building Plans Examiner, Reinforced Concrete Special Inspector, and Pre-stressed Concrete Special Inspector. The incumbent reports to the Deputy Director of Community Development for Permits, Planning & Zoning and exercises significant independent judgment in the application and enforcement of building codes and ordinances within the City. All duties are performed within the guidelines of existing laws, regulations, and policies.
Complete job description and details can be obtained at www.yorkcity.org/employment. Pay is $85,000 per year.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $85,000 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- High School Diploma or equivalency and at least 5 years’ experience in construction and/or a degree in related field and at least 3 years’ experience of customer service
- Experience in government administrative procedures. Minimum of three (3) years’ experience with building codes, construction, fire prevention, inspections, or a similar field.
- Valid Class C Driver's License (Required)
- Building Code Official
- Commercial Building Inspector
- Residential Building Inspector
- Building Plans Examiner
- Reinforced Concrete Special Inspector
- Pre-stressed Concrete Special Inspector
Work Location: Construction, job sites
Must pass a background check, Drug Test and the PA Child Abuse History Clearance check.
Note: Child Abuse History Clearance must be dated within one year from the date of application and must show that "no record exists".
Code Enforcement / Zoning / Planning Official - Borough of Emmaus (Posted November 15, 2022)
The Borough of Emmaus is accepting applications for the full-time position of Code Enforcement / Zoning / Planning Official. The position is responsible for the enforcement of State and Local Codes, issuance of licenses and permits, physical inspections of properties, plan reviews, zoning, issuance of citations, attendance at court hearings, and any other code enforcement related activity. The successful candidate should have a broad background in building construction, knowledge of the UCC, a working knowledge of computers, and the ability to work with the public in a pleasant and professional manner.
Complete job description and details can be obtained by emailing the Borough Manager or at the temporary Emmaus Borough Hall, 420 S. 10th Street, Emmaus, PA 18049. Pay is between $60,000 - $80,000 depending on UCC certifications and skillset already possessed by the successful applicant. Resumes must be mailed to Attn: Shane Pepe at Borough Hall at the address listed above. The application deadline is Friday, December 16, 2022 at 10:00 AM.
There is a potential that the successful candidate may be selected to be the manager of the department if they possess the proper experience in the field and have the proper UCC certifications. EOE
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 - $80,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Associate (Preferred)
- Construction Management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Codes Enforcement / Planning / Zoning: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: One location
Building Plans Examiner (Reposted September 28, 2022)
South Penn Code Consultants is looking for a Building Plans Examiner to join our team. We are a code compliance office, zoning officers, sewage enforcement officers, inspectors, plans examiners, permit technicians, and cover many municipalities. You will review and evaluate building plans and specifications to ensure the proposed construction complies with local, state Uniform Construction Code, building, fire, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, accessibility, energy, and related codes. Salary based on qualifications and experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Review residential and commercial plans for compliance with national, state and locally adopted codes.
• Occasionally inspect buildings and structures for compliance with construction codes.
• Work collaboratively with staff from other departments.
• Develop good working relationships with the public and make difficult and sometimes unpopular decisions.
• Maintain an awareness and application of safe working procedures.
• Review plans and design calculations for complex structural systems used in a broad range of buildings.
Education and Experience Requirements
• Two years of college or vocational tech coursework in building code studies, engineering, architecture, or construction management or three years' experience in building code plan review work for a municipal agency or a private plan review consulting firm or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Knowledge of the International Building Code (IBC). International Residential Code (IRC) and other regulations pertaining to construction and development.
• Knowledge of design, engineering, materials, and methods related to residential and commercial construction.
• Demonstrated excellent verbal and written interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to understand and interpret codes and evaluate project proposals and projects under construction to verify conformance with code requirements.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to make appropriate, sometimes unpopular decisions.
• Ability to communicate technical information in a non-technical manner.
• Ability to respond diplomatically to angry citizens or clients.
• Knowledge of computer software applications.
• All ICC Building Plans Examiner certification
• The work involves utilizing critical thinking skills to evaluate architectural and structural plan documents for conformance with applicable laws and regulations. Reviewers are expected to have knowledge on the use of typical office tools and equipment such as telephones, personal computers, copy machines, etc.
• Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• The employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 20 pounds.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet while in the office and moderately loud when in the field.
• The employee may be required to work in outside weather conditions, in wet and/or humid conditions, in high, precarious places, near moving mechanical parts, near fumes, airborne particles, and/or toxic or caustic chemicals, or near risk of electrical shock and/or vibration.
• Work may periodically require the employee to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl.
Salary depends on experience: $70,000, $110,000
Send or Email Resume and Salary requirements to:
South Penn Code Consultants,
1382 Seven Valleys Road
York PA 717-942-2248
West Whiteland Township - Code Inspector (Posted August 30th, 2022)
Community Background: West Whiteland Township is located approximately 30 miles outside of Philadelphia, in the center of Chester County surrounding the Exton Crossroads of Route 30 and Route 100. We are a suburban community of 19,600 residents with a daytime population over 26,000. New Township plans, a strong transportation mix and increasing redevelopment around the Exton Crossroads have led to important Township and community projects underway and on the horizon.
The Position: The Codes Administration Department’s 4 employees, including the Code Inspector, are responsible for administering the Township's building construction regulations, including zoning reviews and use and occupancy permits; fire prevention inspections of commercial and residential rental properties; emergency management coordination; and enforcement of other non-police codes. The Code Inspector’s position is an administrative, technical and field work position responsible for enforcement of the PA Uniform Construction Code and other Township regulations, and fire prevention education and compliance. Duties include plan review and permit issuance for residential construction, inspections of residential construction and property complaints, enforcing the Township zoning and other ordinances, and assisting the Fire Marshal with fire prevention and life safety inspections.
The ideal candidate will bring a mix of new ideas and proven practices to the position. Strong communication and people skills; the ability to learn new software programs such as GIS and MS Office365; and knowledge of state and federal regulations are essential.
West Whiteland Township has a collegial and hardworking staff where everyone wears multiple hats and pitches in to support each other as necessary. We pride ourselves on serving our community as effectively as we can and an appreciation for public service will make the job more rewarding. While casual and supportive, the work environment also is very busy. The successful candidate must have strong organization and time management skills to prioritize work, juggle multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent
At least 5 years' experience in building codes and inspection, construction trades and/or fire company
Skills and Knowledge
Knowledge of the PA UCC, residential ICC Codes, NFPA fire codes and applicable Township ordinances.
Knowledge of all phases of plan reviews and building inspections for conformance with codes, standards, and best practices.
Knowledge of building construction practices, materials, and standards.
Ability to enforce codes and regulations with firmness and tact.
Good written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to deal tactfully with individuals on the telephone and in person.
Good interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, contractors, engineers, architects, property owners, and the general public.
Good organization skills to complete reviews and inspections in timely manner and to document and follow up notices and inspections.
Licenses and Certifications
Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License
Residential certifications as required by the PA UCC including the following categories - Residential Building, Mechanical, Plumbing and Energy Inspector (#'s 10, 12, 13 and 14) and Building, Mechanical, Plumbing and Energy Plans Examiner (#'s 24. 26, 27 and 28)
All applications must be submitted using the online application process. You will need to create a new account to submit your application. Once you click on Create New Account, you will be guided through the application process and be able to apply for open positions. You will use the same login information each time you apply for a job. Please apply for the position at this link - https://secure3.entertimeonline.com/ta/W9525.careers?ApplyToJob=486739851%27%3eApply%20For%20This%20Job%3c/a